Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbearclaw
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009 edited

Last weekend I thought I'd learn light effects for DD3. What an amazing tool!!! I was fairly impressed with the end result that I put together (which is for an on-going adventure we're currently playing). So I thought I'd share it with everyone. Comments and suggestions always welcome!

Cursed Crypt

•  
      CommentAuthorbearclaw
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009

hey! Why can't I get my map to show? it's about 500 k
    Either your map is somewhere on the web and you must use html coding (see the sticky posting your map discussion) or your map is on your computer and you can send it attached.

To place a picture on the web you can use photobucket or equivalent sites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbearclaw

I did upload it with the post. I grabbed the bbc code to display the image but can't figure out where the image url is that I uploaded here already. I'm sure I've done this before.... :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbearclaw

Ah well, just went with the photobucket method.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

Great job!
    It's a very atmospheric map.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbearclaw

Thanks! Coming from you, that means A LOT!! I learned most of how to use this program from your CD3 tutorials.
    Very good use of light effect.

Glad to see it! Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbearclaw

Something I did to futher the effect of dim torches to randomize the strength of each torch. I started with a distance of 20 and intensity of 50 for all of them. Then I rolled a d10+15 for each torch and put that in for the distance. Giving a randomized range from 15 to 25. Probably harder to tell on this map, but the difference from the original version (all 20's) is substantial. Hmm, that sounds like an idea for a new tool!
    • CommentAuthorKeithC

Very nice crypt map. The lighting is being rendered beautifully. Did you add any lights other than on the torches to get the nice shadowy effect to extend down the wings of the crypt?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbearclaw
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009

Yes, the characters in my adventure are all demi-humans so I wanted to add light to the side rooms that they can see with their infravision. I put a light at the door facing inwards. I did that a greyish color light where the torches are all yellow. There's also a light at the top of the stairs facing downwards that is a white light to show the daylight streaming down, but that one didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.
    • CommentAuthorjaerdaph
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009

Wow - that really is an impressive use of lighting effects. The map really looks lit it is underground, and the outer areas in darkness are especially creepy.