Contoursm and imported maps

When I import a map from my Paintshop Pro collection, I start the import coordinates at 1,1 and subtract one unit from the width and height from the other corner. If I start at 0,0 I can't select any land mass if part of a landmass abuts the edge of the map when using the CONTOURSM command. I have a theory that COTOURSM can't distinguish between land and water because the land at the edge of the map is unbound. The buffer creates a polygon. Without the buffer CONTOURSM sees a path that starts and ends at an edge and not a polygon?
Any other solutions to make CONTOURSM work?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    The background has to be transparent.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Are you making sure to just select the image when running CONTROURSM? Where the image is placed in the drawing shouldn't matter at all, that isn't taken into consideration when the polygon is generated, but if you place it right at the edge of the map, it is easy to accidentally also select the background and/or map border at the same time, and then countoursm try to process them all as a combined image, resulting in undesirable results.

I also recommend using TRACED instead of CONTROURSM.
  • Thank you. That resolves my problem and disproves my theory. So CONTOURSM needs a transparent and black image. When I did get CONTOURSM to work, it turns out the image I imported was transparent and black.