CA155 WorldBuilding

Hi. I'm giving FT3 another crack after several fails. I'm following the CA155 Supplementary sculpting tutorial with the exact settings listed.
My first question - Are the Offset brushes really supposed to be 500 x 500 H & W? That pretty much covers the entire map. Curious.
Also, I never got a "white" starting altitude/map which I see was the bottom colour on the altitude scale. At -30000 altitude my map was blue.
Thx.
Cavan

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hi Cavan :)

If you have set the Editing resolution higher than default in the World Settings and clicked the Apply button before closing it, those brushes should only be about the size of the UK on a world map at most.

They're meant to be fairly big so that you don't gouge huge and narrow trenches or raise razor ridges anywhere on the map, but not as big as the map itself.
  • Thanks. I did set it to "Custom 8000" but I guess it didn't take. The brush size at 500 makes sense now. So am I right that the brush, set at its smallest, snaps to some kind of grid that is at the level of the FT3 program? I was close up to my trace image but realized I'd never get it exact because the brush "snaps" to positions rather than operates "free hand."
    edited August 2020
    The brush shouldn't be snapping to anything.

I didn't even know it could!

EDIT: It will appear to snap if the editing resolution is low as it jolts from one set of height points to the next. When the resolution is 8000 it should look pretty smooth. Make sure that you clicked the Apply button after setting the editing resolution before you close the window.
  • You're right. Once I reset the resolution it's not "snapping" around. I still find FT3 difficult to control what I'm painting. I'll have to look in the manual to see if there's a way to "paint" a set altitude. It would be easier to trace a continental shelf at -3000 ft if the brush painted one setting. I'll keep trying but I may not have the patience for this program.
    CC
    I can tell you now that there's no way to do that.

It's why the tutorial is written the way it is.
  • Hah! Thanks for the tutorial. Lead the way.
    cc