PF Angle Map as Sheet-effect for shading terrains?

I have thought about this a long time...

PF Angle Maps can be used to create shaded symbols (e.g. hills with shading depending on the global sun).
But what about using such a PF Angle Map as a sheet effect to create shadows of a terrain?
Possible already or maybe in future?

/André

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    If you shade a cone or a dome using a map file the red value is a conical gradient with a join at due east between no red and full red.

Normal maps or heightmaps would be better, since they don't have these joins.

Map files for domes and spires must be individually created at all the resolutions, since CC3 has a tendency to blur the line between red and no red, which produces red shades from all around the rest of the dome, and an ugly seam on that east facing 'slope'.

Map files also don't play at all nicely with faded edges, so everything you use them for usually has to have a nice sharp edge, preferably with a nice black line around it.
  • edited August 2020
    Thank you Sue for your fast reply.
    You name some interesting facts to be considered when creating symbols.

But is there a resolution when you want to shade a terrain/topographical map very detailed?

I put an example below. My aim is to create shaded topographical terrain maps inside CC3+
    (I know that this can easily be done in FT3 and I could export a shaded version and use it as a background image)
    But then I cannot change the colouring of my topographical map (by changing the colour palette) or change the shadows (by changing the global sun options) afterwards.

So here we go:
    My (rather boring) heightmap in a rather usual colour scheme for different heights.
    Then the belonging pf angle map (generated directly from the original heightmap)
    ...and finally the resulting map in CC3+ with different global sun lightning options.
    But: This map is created with a symbol and consists only of one shaded symbol!
    (In this case I can change the shadow options, but not the colour... afterwards)

Can I archive this effect by putting the "colours" (height contours) into one sheet and the shadow information in a other sheet and/or by combining both with sheet effects?

Greetings,
    André
    Map files are great for little things like rooftops and domes and such, if you take care with that easterly join, but they don't generate shadows. This means that if you use a map file for a mountain there will be no shadow to shade the tiny outcrops on the shaded side of the mountain. So if you have a rounded boulder sticking out on the shaded side it will appear to be as strongly lit as if the mountain that in reality would be casting a giant shadow over it did not exist.

A better illusion of height in a CC3 map can be achieved the way I originally did it on Merelan City.

Export a shadow map and a height map (both black and white images) from your chosen 3D/Heightmap editor (Wilbur, Blender - any of those) and import them both as bitmaps into your CC3 map, then blend mode them over the whole map using Multiply at appropriate opacities. The heightmap is not as important as the shadow map, but gives a certain depth to the resulting image.

As with all bitmaps - not an editable solution unless you go back and edit the source. But then - the same is true of symbols.
    This is a pretty horrible book cover I tried a long time ago. I think you can see the result of blending the heightmap with the shadow map in the background. This isn't a CC3 map, but the principles are the same. It would have worked the same way in CC3 as it did in GIMP.
  • I have never before thought about using a heightmap as a map for creating a more 3 dimensional map illusion.
    Very useful input as usual Sue, thank you - I will give it a try.
    /André
    PS: I like your book cover...
    Heightmap + Shadow map, like the ones you can export from Wilbur ;)

And thank you! That's very kind of you. I thought it was great about 3 years ago, but I don't like it any more.