Crashing on Save As...

Lately I have been crashing whenever I try to Save As.. any type of vector (raster? I get them confused) format (.bmp, .jpg, .gif, .png). I have trimmed the maps to get them fairly small and shut down other programs running, thinking maybe it was a memory issue (I have 4gig RAM) but that doesn't seem to help. This seems like a recent problem as I was able to save even my largest maps as recently as last month.

Here is the information I get:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: fcw32.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.612
Application Timestamp: 476086d3
Fault Module Name: Effects.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 48e52dab
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000fb61
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 6dc2
Additional Information 2: 2daab9c918383610cdb7b5c97f38d0cf
Additional Information 3: 6d74
Additional Information 4: 42e205c4d11203b8815be7ada6b538bb

Thanks for any help on this!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I have no direct help but look here

Like discussion
  • I can't say I have used CC3 much until recently, but I suspect it is the new IE from Windows as that is the only thing I recently changed and I have noticed other oddities like Adobe Acrobat Reader seeming to take a while to load.
  • it might not be IE. Microsoft has issued a series of security updates this spring that have locked down a lot of file functions. I know that my company's software stopped working (twice) because of them.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Does it happen when you type SAVEAS?
  • 8 days later
  • edited June 2009
    I have the same problem; this is how you get around it. I warn you, it's not the best work around!

Method #1:

Download Snag-It (30 free trail)

File->Print

Print to your Snag-It Printer

Hit Properties

Hit Advanced (bottom right side)

Select your paper size, and then select 600x600 dots per inch under Print Quality.

Set all your normal settings

Wait (it takes a second, the Snag It will open)

Save as your favorite format.

Open Photoshop or Paint.net (Free) then crop/resize as needed.

Print

This method produces a 32x43 inch document (if set to 8.5x11 paper stock) at 150 DPI.

Method #2:

Save

Restart CCS

Save your map before doing anything else. Sometimes that will work

*edit: Just saw the post with the PDF editor. Same process, different programs.

-Avotas
  • It works if I shut IE, mail, media player, paintshop and any other porograms aside from virus.

Oddly, the SAVEAS worked too. O.o

What is the menu cmd for saveas rectangular BMP?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: mtowleIt works if I shut IE, mail, media player, paintshop and any other porograms aside from virus.
    Usually an indication that you have too little free memory for CC3 to work with then. CC3 does like to use a bit of memory.

Posted By: mtowleWhat is the menu cmd for saveas rectangular BMP?
    alt i) WBS
    alt ii) WBSM filename.bmp

For both commands, follow whatever the status bar or popup dialogs tells you to do.
  • 8 days later
  • edited July 2009
    I am also having this problem and if it's a problem with memory, I have to shake my head. My rig runs over 4 gigs of RAM and is powered by a quad core processor. i can run high end programs like Vue 7 infinite and XSI simultaniously without slowdown. I should be able to save a 800ft DD3 map without the program crashing.

I've been able to save the map as a png 800x600 but as you can see from the attachments, the resolution is very pixellated. I've also included a print screen to show you what the map should look like. (For those that might recognize the layout, it's from a Shadowrun 4 adventure).