Little question about effects

Hello friends of ProFantasy Forum,

I'm new to CC3 and I have some problems when I try to put the "wall shadow, Point light finaliza" effect. The parameters in "Edit filter" are locked (in grey color) and I can't change it. I have another question about "wall shadow, point of light setup" effect: No matter which value I enter, all the map turns always to black!
I read the UserManual of CC3 and I only find "Wall Shadow, Point of Light"(edit light,add light,intensity,....) but I don't have these options :'(
I think that I downloaded all patches.
I have CC3 V.3.24 and DD3.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Sorry, I try to attach image again ^_^
  • edited June 2009
    While I can't explain it (bought CC3 recently and haven't used either of those) I can direct you to the help menu and look up "Wall Shadow effects filter" in the index there. It might help. :)

After reading said section I think you might be missing a light source, which is why your map turns black.
  • To add a light use the Ligths menu above CC3 (not in the effects) (rightmost in the menu bar).
    Some symbols include light source.

The map turns indeed black because there is no light source.
    To negate this effect you must assign a Point Light Finalize effect on the first sheet you don't want to be affected by lights effect (usually text, info, map border). All the sheets further down won't be affected by the black-out :).
    There's nothing wrong with the disable filter of point light finalize because there's no parameters. It's ok the way you see it.
  • Point Light Setup is an effect to be added on a sheet containing objects casting shadows, not he sheet containing the light.

Have a look on Light Source in the help menu. To summarize what it says
    1) Add lights (lights menu->add light)
    2) Add a Light Point Setup on all the sheets casting shadows (walls, small objects, medium objects...)
    3) Add a Light Point Finalize on the first sheet (from up in the sheets list) not to be affected.
  • bearclawbearclaw Traveler
    I just learned and figured out lights last night and there is one thing that you are probably missing that everyone's comments (greatly helpful) don't take into concideration.

If you don't subscribe to the Cartographers Annual, you won't have a Lights menu. though the commands are still available with text equivilants.
    type - addlight - will let you click where you want a light source to appear
    type - lights - to bring up a list of all the lights already on your map, by number and coordinates, allowing you to double click and edit if nessesary.

Each light works like an entity so you can copy, edit move, delete, etc as normal.
    All the instructions in the help files are accurate and correct, you just need to look to the Text Equivialant option at the bottom of each help file.
  • Thank you for your help!

Bearclaw, right! I don't have Annual Vol2, and without the commands that you showed me I wouldn't have been able to do it --> thanks!
    Leonal and Joachim de Ravenbel, thanks too, with your help then I can use correctly those commands.

I will show you the abbey map once I finish it with your help.

Thanks!
  • 4 months later
  • This thread helped me, too! Hadn't messed with CC3 much for over a year and I just got everything put back on and started turning knobs and pushing buttons again this morning. Most of it is coming back pretty fast, but the lighting effects were in the dark ages compared to now! This is so much more intuitive! I made a simple octagon room, put the pillars on the SYMBOL sheet, the walls on the WALLS sheet, added the Point Light Setup wall shadow to them (20 feet on pillars and infinite on walls) then added a LIGHT sheet/layer to added the two symbols the light will come from. Then in Dungeon > Lights I added the center light with a max radius well beyond the room dimensions and like 100 intensity and the little torch is like 25 feet with 200 intensity (both are 360 degree). Lastly I put a Point Light Finalize beyond the LIGHT sheet (so the lights don't affect anything above them) and this was the result! I was doing pretty good but I couldn't figure out what to do with the Finalize effect! Thanks a ton--these dramatic lighting effects are going to add a LOT to my games!
  • Hello friends of Campaign Cartographer,

Good work Eugee ^_^
    I can’t try make something like this :(

I have CC3 3.24 (CAD version 6.18.0) and DD3.
    I like very much CC3, I really love it. But I have a very important problem. I’m very worried about it.
    Usually when I’m working with sheets and effects I don’t have any problem. But only If I add lights and then I add effect “Point light setup” (Only this effect, I think) the program generate an error of FastCAD and then close itself.
    The error is

AppName: fcw32.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.612 ModName: filtertest2.dll
    ModVer: 1.0.0.8

I tried all posible options that I can know.
    Install again all programs.
    Install without patch 7 (I saw that dd3 have lights).
    Redownload programs.
    Install in other PC.
    Search in some guides or helps.

I’m really desesperate. Please, could someone help me?

Thank you so much.