I need help scaling a map

I am currently trying to make a VERY LARGE scale map, I took a 15,000 X 7,500 map and scaled it by 10 in each direction X and Y, this got me the desired size and the objects were properly tiny. but the land borders are so large that it just ended up being impossible to make small islands and whatnot to fit my appropriately tiny lighthouses and villages on. so basically is there a way to remove the landmass borders or make them smaller and is there a way to make the fractal for the coastlines be more,,, fractally. it is rather ugly to have hundred-mile landmass borders. when I put something small it ended up being so that the map borders were all that was displayed on smaller landmasses. and as a smaller inconvenience, the fractal got larger so that a normally appropriately fractal coastline ended up being very smooth and straight for the size of the map I was doing.

Is this something that the software just really can't handel or am I being stupid somehow.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2020
    May I ask what you are trying to map here? If you understand you correctly, you ended up with a 150,000 by 75,000 size map? Considering the earth is roughly 25,000 by 12,400 miles, that is mindblowingly huge.

I am also worried about the detail level you describe here. mapping such a huge world in such high detail is a typical never-ending project, you end up putting it on hold from mapping fatigue long before you really get anywhere. Of course, since CC3+ isn't a painting program where adding a tree just changes the colors of some pixels, every entity you add to the map does slow down CC3+. Of course, you need quite a lot of entities before this become noticeable, but it will happen if you try to add too much detail to a single map. There is also limits on how many nodes a single polygon can handle, causing issues if your landmass is too fractalized.
    I really recommend the approach taken in the community atlas, where you have a low-detail world map, and then make more detailed continent maps, and yet more detailed regional maps and so on. This is way easier on the mapper, because you don't waste time mapping areas that might not be needed in such a high detail, and you can concentrate on the important things.

Now, as for the sizes of borders and such. These are configured in the drawing tools themselves. If you click the All drawing tools button, then hit the Advanced button, you can edit the drawing tools. Now, I recommend making a copy and not editing the originals, this is done by selecting the tool you wish to edit, then hitting the 'New' button, this will make a copy of the selected tool. Now, just make sure your copy is the selected one, then proceed with the edits. The outline for a landmass (click the Outline button followed by the extra entity button [only available if the current tool is using an extra entity for the outline, otherwise see what I wrote below about effects]) is usually expressed in percentage of the map border. You can either reduce the value used here, or switch it to a fixed value instead, and just set a value you are happy with. The fractalization is controlled by clicking the Options button next to the draw method dropdown (context sensitive properties, so if the draw method isn't fractal, it will show the properties for whatever method is chosen). When done editing, just click Save, then click Cancel (unless you wish to test the tool immediately, which will happen if you click OK)

You didn't say what style you where using. Some styles use effects for the landmass outline instead of an extra entity, and if so, you'll need to edit the effects instead. Just adjust the size of the glow effect on the appropriate sheet.
  • Thanks.
    to your point on it being too large, I agree and will be doing one roughly at 50,000 X 24,800. I am trying to do a huge very detailed map for a table cover basically, kinda like the map room in a game of thrones, but a table.

I got the proper size fractal but when I went to edit the landmass properties to remove the border I ended up with a thin border and a hollow continent that had nothing but a border and water inside.

is there a way to edit the tool to just have a tiny border instead of the huge cartoony one.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You can change the properties on any drawn polygon using the Change Properties tool - the topmost paint bucket on the left. It's really hard to tell what the problem is without an image to refer to. Any chance of a zoomed in screen shot showing a section of this coastline? I can't tell from what you are saying whether you are talking about an actual coastline polygon, or a sheet effect.
  • the weird line thing is my attempt to remove the outline with the properties tool. the islands are the small things I want to add and the rightmost continent is what I get right now with my landmass tool by default.

I want to remove that dark blue green outline altogether or atleast mostly. I have tried editing the tool, the placed landmass and the sheet effects to no avail.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2020
    It looks like you have used the change properties on both the landmass and the outline. Keep in mind that these are two separate entities that are stacked on top of each other in the exact same position, so you must take care when using change properties to not select both of them at the same time.
    I recommending selecting by fill style (Solid) for this, as that should match the outline but not the landmass. Editing chapter on page 51 of the manual has a tutorial of how to select only one entity in a stack like this.
    Important point here is to watch the command prompt and make sure only one entity, and not 2, is selected before you 'Do It'.
  • thank you. this solves my problem perfectly.