Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Good day,

I'm still working on my modular hex dungeons and a thought just occurred to me that I might be able to make full scale maps by making the tiles into symbols like with Mike Schley's Overland Hex January 2018 Annual style. However I have no idea the best way to go about it. I have well over a hundred hex dungeon tiles, it is a bit of an obsession really. Making them into symbols that could be properly rotated like with the Overland Hex symbols would greatly reduce my time making random dungeons.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
      ContactSheet-001.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2020

Making them into hex symbols should just be as easy as importing them as symbols, and then set the 'Hex Symbol' symbol option for them from the symbol manager.
    Monsen how do you

*edited as I figured some of it out*

Do to the sheet effects I have a mask around the tile. But I can not seem to create a symbol of just the area I need. It doesn't work without the mask, and with the mask it is no longer a proper hexagon.

Importing the png of the tiles gives a white background despite them being saved with a transparency, making them rectangular.
      HexTile mask.png
    On a different problem I can't seem to get any snapping to work properly with the hex grid. I used to be pretty good at CC2, fairly good with CC3 but I've now tried 4 different map styles and snapping for a hex grid is never spot on.

Ideally I'd like to have all the wall features and everything available and not just a png. Like CA61 does for the flat tiles. All the walls, floors, symbols are there to be edited if need be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2020

For the transparency, you need to handle that in an external image editor before loading them in as symbols in CC3+. CC3+ cannot save images with transparency, there will always be a background.

What do you mean when you say the snapping for the hex grid isn't spot on?

Importing the tiles as symbols with editable features is also possible, but it is a bit more work. You have to take advantage of multi-sheet symbols. To do this, you need to enable the symbol options convert line style names to sheets. And then you need to assign line styles of appropriate names to all the entities. For example, to make the walls end up on the WALLS sheet, make a new line style named WALLS, and set the walls to use that style. Then you can just create them as symbols within CC3+ without rendering them as .png's.
    Do note that symbols shouldn't be nested, so you should explode all symbols on the tiles before doing this.
    Posted By: MonsenImporting the tiles as symbols with editable features is also possible, but it is a bit more work. You have to take advantage of multi-sheet symbols. To do this, you need to enable the symbol options convert line style names to sheets. And then you need to assign line styles of appropriate names to all the entities. For example, to make the walls end up on the WALLS sheet, make a new line style named WALLS, and set the walls to use that style. Then you can just create them as symbols within CC3+ without rendering them as .png's.
    Do note that symbols shouldn't be nested, so you should explode all symbols on the tiles before doing this.

Is there any detailed documentation, like step by step, on how to do this? Because this is something I would really like to do but I don't understand much of what you just mentioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Not that I know about. There is some more detail and images on page 125 of the Tome, bu tit isn't a step by step guide.
    Well it is a start. Im guessing I will have to redraw all the tiles without the mask?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2020 edited

You shouldn't need to redraw them, but don't let the mask be a part of the final symbol. But remember that sheet effects generally are calculated based on the total edge of the combined entities, if the hexes line up properly, you shouldn't have edge effects between tiles anyway.

If I were you, I would start by some really simple test cases though,
    • CommentAuthorjmabbott

When creating your .png files, I'm assuming from a Ps file, have you used the polygonal lasso tool to select the outer edge of the hexes, copy, then open a new document using the 'from clipboard' option (making sure background is set to 'transparent' and then paste the hex in? That worked for me for creating some dungeon tiles without a background for rectangular and square images. I was using PS CS4.