Flattening terrain

Hello

I am very new to Fractal Terrains and I've been playing around with a section of a map with a coastal plain and two offshore island groups.
I am happy with how the islands turn out, but the plains are way too "bumpy" and i can't find a way to smooth them down that still looks somewhat natural.
And I have some odd artifact square boxes that wont go away. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
map.jpg 732.6K

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hi William :)

It can be pretty tricky getting off to a good start with FT3, but there are a few things I can help you with. Unfortunately I don't have much of a clue as to how to solve the existing problems - only how to sculpt in FT3 without creating too many of them in the first place.

Whether you are starting with a synthetic world or sculpting one from scratch from a flat world, open your World Settings and go to the Edit tab. There set the resolution to at least 5000 under Custom and check the little box that says: "Allow Prescale Offset Editing"

Apply the changes and make the Tool Properties bar visible.

Then use only the Raise and Lower Prescale brushes and nothing else at all - once you have made them as large as possible and only about 0.005 in strength. These two brushes are extremely powerful. You will see results immediately despite the low power setting. The other advantage of using the prescale brushes is that you create far fewer artefacts than you do with the other brushes.

I know that doesn't help you with the current world, but maybe someone else will know what to do, and at least you can use this next time.