Creating a Symbol Collection when Importing Symboles

So I have figured out how to import PNG's to create my own symbol catalog.

However the manual does not seem very clear on how to be able to create a Symbol Collection. Just seems to detail what they are without saying how to create them. What steps can I go through to create my own collection?

Phillip

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 2020
    Hi Phillip :)

I love doing this myself. There's a huge sense of satisfaction in creating a working collection, so here's how you do it.

All the files that are to be in the collection have to have the same name, for example "Tree *", where the asterisk is the number of that tree symbol. So I might have "Tree 01", "Tree 02", "Tree 03" etc.

When you import the symbols they should appear in the right order in the Symbol Manager, but if for any reason they are not in numerical order you should move them up and down the list using the buttons on the right until they are all next to each other and all in numerical order.

Then you need to select all of them together by clicking the top one and holding down SHIFT while clicking the bottom one, and then click the Options button. This opens the Symbol settings dialog.

Check the Symbol is one of a collection box, leave the Numbers at the end setting as it is, and check the Randomly select from collection box.

Usually it is normal to set a sheet for symbols to end up on, and its also good practice too - making sure that nothing gets lost. I've made a mistake in this image. I forgot to add the asterix after SYMBOLS in the Force Sheet box. Making this entry "SYMBOLS*" means that you can then place it on any active SYMBOLS sheet, rather than only the one called specifically SYMBOLS.

Sometimes, to add a bit more variety to a random collection you can use the Random transformations option. If you check that and then click the Options button next to it you will see the controls available to you. Be careful here, though, since you wouldn't want to rotate anything that shouldn't be rotated, or reflect anything that shouldn't be reflected.
  • Thanks a ton for this!

Phillip
  • edited July 2020
    Wow. So much to learn with this software. I'm in the process of exporting some old-school dungeon symbols I created in Ai to use with DD3. This info will be handy, not that i need random symbols...

Here is a double bed example. It looks a lot better at the correct scale!