Question for new software

Hi guy,

Does anybody have any experience with mapping software like ProFantasy? Is it worth it?
I can't draw worth a damn, and I'd like to have some nice maps for a campaign I'm developing. But, for ProFantasy at least, it don't come cheap...

Thank you

Comments

• The answer you will find here is of course an emphatic "YES!!!" because we wouldn't be posting here if we didn't already use the software. The main issue new users find is that since this system was created from CAD software a long time ago that the interface may be different from other graphics software they may be familiar with. It's less about drawing a pretty picture and more about creating a set of entities and deciding how you want them to look, so your lack of drawing skill may not be as much of an obstacle as you might think. Deciding what you want where is the bigger issue; you can always customize the appearance of the map later to suit your taste with the many tools provided. I think it's worth it, but then I just do this for fun and not for a specific purpose. (I'd build models but smell of glue gives me a headache.)
  • My inability to draw is why I use this software.

Just look around these forums and you will see the variety of maps we make.

On my cell phone.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hi William :)

*Impartial advice*

If you don't know what you want and you haven't tried anything at all, my advice to you on a person to person level is to do what I did and try all the free stuff first, then all the stuff you can get your money back on if you don't like it.

*biased advice*

CC3 is really great. I tried everything that was free first, felt it was far too limiting and started looking around at purchased mapping apps. Eventually I ended up buying and keeping CC3 :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I love CC3+, one of the reasons being that I can actually make nice maps in it, without being able to draw at all.
    CC3+ may have a bit of a learning curve, but it is a technical learning curve, about using the program, and not about learning how to draw.

As for the price, CC3+ is currently at half price. All you really need is the base program. Of course, all the add-ons and annuals and stuff are pretty nice, and greatly expand your library, but you don't need to have them to make nice maps.
  • I came to the Campaign Cartographer software back in 2012 because I wanted a good, CAD-based, mapping program that would let me draw a large array of different maps, plans and diagrams in a range of different styles. I looked into what other software was available at the time, free and paid-for, and I still look at some of the alternative options now from time to time. Frankly, in what I've seen, nothing compares with what CC3+ offers as a program, including its ongoing series' of updates and additions (such as the Cartographer's Annual), and its support structure - both on the tech support side, and via this Forum.

However, Sue's advice is sound - look around first and see what appeals to you, and what you'll need the software to do.
  • smhollingsworthsmhollingsworth Traveler
    edited July 2020
    I have only been using it for a few months, but love it so far. I have mainly been working in Fractal Terrains, with a little of Campaign Cartographer. Fractal Terrains was great for general world creation. Moving on to working more with CC3+ has been even more fun. While there is a learning curve, it has definitely been worth the frequent bouts of head-scratching and occasional swearing.