Looking for a computer to use for mapping

I am looking at buying a surface pro and using it for mapping; campaign cartographer specifically. Is this a good computer to use? My desktop and regular lap top are Apple, so this will be my first windows based computer in a long time. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• LatharionLatharion Traveler
    If the Surface Pro you are eyeing is running on a Windows OS, then you should be good to go. Any modern configuration should do (meaning memory/storage options). The minimum specs to run it are pretty low and include Windows XP, which predates all Surface Pros.
  • The Surface Pro should be fine as long as it's got 8GB of RAM. CC3 only uses up to 4GB, so if you've got 8GB that's enough that CC3 can render at full memory.

I recently made the same choice you are to get a touchscreen 2-in-1 tablet/laptop, but I went with an Acer Spin 5 model that I found was more bang for my buck.

https://www.newegg.com/steel-gray-acer-spin-5-sp513-53n-56cr/p/N82E16834316632?Item=N82E16834316632

It's got plenty of power, a nice big (for tablet) 1920x1080 screen and comes with its own stylus at just $700. Remember that both the stylus and the keyboard are extra add-ons for the Surface Pro.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I am pretty happy with my Surface Pros, but keep in mind that the processors in these tablet-sized computers are weaker than their laptop counterparts, which again is weaker than the desktop version. An i7 in a tablet is not the same as an i7 in a desktop.
    This is primarily noticeable when you do things that require a lot of CPU, such as exporting the map to an image, but it will also affect on-screen rendering of complex maps with lots of effects.
    But working on the surface is pretty nice. I've done a lot of work in tight quarters by drawing with the pen (basically using it as a mouse), and that works very nicely for me.
  • I appreciate your comments. Thank you very much. It is also good to know that I can use a stylus like a mouse while mapping. The Surface Pro I'm looking has these specs: i7, 16gb ram, 2736 x 1824 screen, iris plus 940 graphics card. My hope is that my 2:1 Will be powerful enough to render and not slow me down as it hitches or loads. I haven't looked at the Acer Spin 5 mentioned above, but I will.