Possible new buyer questions / regional map linked into a global map possible ?

Hi !

Possible new buyer of Campaign Cartographer 3+ Lifetime License via Humble Bundle here; I have a few questions

1 - Does the lifetime license include the annual cartographer or do I need to purchase them separately ?

2 - What are the limit in term of size of the maps you can create (and still be able to open and work in CC3++ of course without lags) ?

3 - I'm looking to create a full world with individual region/city maps linked between each others. Does CC3++ have the option to create clickable link inside a map ? For img, text, additional maps or even display additionals infos on specific layers ? If I need to use tiers software, can I export a tilled version of my map to preserve resolution ? Ideally I would like a google map's kind of effect, where from a global map I can zoom in and automatically switch to a more regional map. Is that something do able ? kind of https://geology.com/world/world-map.shtml
From what I saw, most of the map use a small level of details, but I'm looking for a robust way of displaying a vast amount of data on a large scale.

4 - I saw the soft use some layers, could you export the same map over and over with different preset layers ? To be able to easily export geopolitical, terrain or whatever kind of maps I want to create ?

5 - Is there any ways to integrate some animations directly on map ? Winds or cloud passing by, territory evolving thru time, volcano erupting, etc?

6 - I'm a daily use of complex architectural CAD program. Despite the look which is quite frankly unappealing, does CC3++ have some kind of user friendly progress curve ? Or will I give up after 4 hours to create a very simple map ?

Thanks for your input !

Adri

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited July 2020
    I'll try an answer some of your questions. More experienced users can answer the rest.

Possible new buyer of Campaign Cartographer 3+ Lifetime License via Humble Bundle here; I have a few questions

1 - Does the lifetime license include the annual cartographer or do I need to purchase them separately ?
    The Annuals are sold annually, you get one each month. If you buy an Annual previous to 2020, you get a zip file which contains all 12 issues at once. Some years have a bonus issue. Each issue comes with a pdf, templates, symbols, fills, etc.

2 - What are the limit in term of size of the maps you can create (and still be able to open and work in CC3++ of course without lags) ?
    I don't know the maximum, but the Community Atlas you can see at the top of these forums displays 8192 pixel wide png files for the maps.

3 - I'm looking to create a full world with individual region/city maps linked between each others. Does CC3++ have the option to create clickable link inside a map ? For img, text, additional maps or even display additionals infos on specific layers ? If I need to use tiers software, can I export a tilled version of my map to preserve resolution ? Ideally I would like a google map's kind of effect, where from a global map I can zoom in and automatically switch to a more regional map. Is that something do able ? kind of https://geology.com/world/world-map.shtml
    From what I saw, most of the map use a small level of details, but I'm looking for a robust way of displaying a vast amount of data on a large scale.
    You can create hyperlinks from a map to another map, works on your hard drive.

My Crestar site has hemispheres, with regions and continents, then nations, then city/dungeons/villages, but I don't link them on my web site.

Note that I still have CC2 maps on that site that I am slowly updating.

You can export rectangular pieces of maps as png, bmp, or jpg at whatever resolution you have set in the save as area under the File menu. I have mine set to 2000 pixels, so all of my maps, even a map of a partial area, save as 2000 pixels wide.

Larger continent maps with many symbols is difficult for Windows to handle. I go for areas marked off in fills, and then make smaller maps with details.

There is a Map note capability, but I don't use it so I don't know how much text can be placed with each map.

I don't know if you can make a map like Google maps or not.

4 - I saw the soft use some layers, could you export the same map over and over with different preset layers ? To be able to easily export geopolitical, terrain or whatever kind of maps I want to create ?
    5 - Is there any ways to integrate some animations directly on map ? Winds or cloud passing by, territory evolving thru time, volcano erupting, etc?

Not that I know of.

6 - I'm a daily use of complex architectural CAD program. Despite the look which is quite frankly unappealing, does CC3++ have some kind of user friendly progress curve ? Or will I give up after 4 hours to create a very simple map ?

Thanks for your input !

Adri
    I created my first map much quicker than that. The tutorials and the Essentials guides that come with all of this software, is excellent for learning how to make maps.

Over the past 10 years I have turned out approximately 5,000 maps using this software.

edit: Sorry, I tried to edit it so your questi9ons and my answers were easier to tell apart.
  • LatharionLatharion Traveler
    edited July 2020
    In answer to question 1, the is no practical limit to the total length and width of a map. There is a limit to the number of entities placed on a given map. I remember reading that somewhere on the forums, but that was mentioned years ago. I do know that the limit is directly related to CC3 being a 32-bit program, although that may have changed. It is a very large limit, though.

In answer to question 4, basically, yes, you can. CC3 uses a layers and sheets concept. Layers are used to sort and organize entities in relation to each other. Sheets are kind of like mega layers. Each sheet contains a the same layer names, but not necessarily the same entities. With this information, one could create a map using layers to separate the various bits & bobs, all on the same sheet. Then simply copy all of that to a different sheet. One could then display or hide whichever sheet or sheets they needed to be active at the time. A word of caution though. Using CC3 this way will limit some of it's features (such as various effects and automatic settings for symbols and drawing tools).