Fantasy City Map Assistance

I have a friend who is working on getting a Fantasy City setting put together for 5th ed. D&D and i believe he is going to put it on the DM's guild, maybe a kickstarter, and he has asked me to do the official maps for the project (YAY!)

SO were going through some draft maps that i made for practice and to try and get a feel for the "setting and feel" of the city and the one comment he had on all the test maps was the need for "more organised chaos".

When i asked him what he meant by that he said the idea is that the city never stops growing. In the poor sections of town, homes are build on top of other peoples homes, in some sections these homes are falling over on to other buildings and buildings may not all be strictly "nice and square" some buildings my wrap around others, they might go over streets, some might be build on or over the ruins of the buildings original construction.

Now, I know I can use the House Command with CD3 and make Irregular houses / buildings, and that I can change the style of the houses look, but I guess my question is this:

Is their a combination of symbol sets, techniques, or some symbol / annual sets that would be really helpful for me to use on this project??
(At the moment, i've been using a combination of SS5, the CD3 Bitmap A, CA63 Jon Roberts, CA117 City Streets, and some sprinklings of symbols from the Dungeon sets.)

Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Sounds like you already have most of it already. As long as you wish to work on the individual building level, there isn't that much more that would really help you, other than give you more variation. You could get the free Vintyri Cartographic Collection which contains a lot of building symbols.

But your best tool for this is as you have already mentioned, the building tool. It lets you tailor buildings to fit perfectly into small spaces, alongside other building, walls at whatever angle you need, and so on. It is more work drawing each building, but it gives you the flexibility.
  • I guess your right.

I asked my buddy to try and find me some examples of what he wants because i do better with visual learning.

I guess i can practice for now and wait for him to give me some examples.

Thanks!
  • 8 days later
  • oooo i just got the above mentioned Vintyri Cartographic Collections downloaded and i like what im seeing going through the install guides!

These might help add some nice flavor to these maps, Thank you for mentioning them!!