Dungeon Designer 3 Symbol Buttons Point to Wrong Catalogs

Hi there! I'm new to Dungeon Designer 3, and because some of the symbol toggles at the top kept prompting me "Select Catalog Setting", I played around a little bit trying to get each button to point to the correct sub-library.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any intuitive way of doing this. I learned about the Symbol Style Toggle and that the correct Master Filter needs to be selected (however, that discussion thread didn't actually contain the information which one actually is the correct Master Filter).

But in trying around (with "Open Catalog", "Symbol Catalog Settings" etc.), it looks like I've already messed up the connection between some of the symbol buttons and the correct catalog.

Specifically, the "Up and Down" button leads me to the Furniture menu.
The Furniture button, Temple and Statues button, and the Wall Feature button all lead me to a window only containing the compass and the scale meter.
The buttons for Dungeon Geomorph, Weapons, and Walls keep prompting me "Select Catalog Setting".
Only the first four buttons (Cave, Containers and Treasure, Debris, Elemental and Magic) work as intended.

I've tried re-installing Dungeon Designer 3, but the settings remain the same, unfortunately.

Any ideas on how to re-match every button to its standard library manually would hence be greatly appreciated! ;)

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Oops!

Well the good news is that if a user can alter things to mess them up a bit, then it is theoretically possible to change it all back again.

Unfortunately the bad news is that I've never messed with any of those filter settings because I never had time to really worry about it - only to learn how its little idiosyncrasies would work for me one way or another.

Do you have the Tome?
  • Yes, I bought the recent bundle, so I also have Tome of Ultimate Mapping. I haven't installed it yet, though - I'm doing them bit by bit. But this means the Tome will be the next one I install (currently the Battle Map and Floor Plan Collection is installing in the background).

I've found a video on YouTube explaining how to assign custom catalogs to a button, so that helps a little. Although I do think I tried a couple of things shown in the video by myself already, yet the buttons didn't remember the assigned catalog.
    Assigning things to buttons is what I would call an advanced art. Best just to focus on getting things back to the way they were.

The Tome has a section about Managing Symbol Catalogues starting on page 102. I'm hoping that the information you need can be found there.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The correct master filter for the default DD3 style is DD3 Color.

Filters should be loaded automatically whenever you load a map, so unless you have edited and overwritten the symbol catalog settings files, just exit and restart CC3+ and load your map should have everything back to normal.
  • Thanks for your comments! ;)

Exiting and re-opening doesn't change anything, and as I said earlier, not even re-installing Dungeon Designer 3 works.

I didn't overwrite any FSC files, but it does seem like I've changed symbol catalog settings then? If so, is there any way to reset this to default?

I clicked the DD3 button again, which gave me a completely different selection of symbols than the ones I had used in that file... except for the Elemental and Magic section, which somehow now contains the Furniture symbols I've used.
    Strato, are you looking at the symbol catalogue, or the symbols used in the map? There are two buttons at the top of the Symbols Catalogue window. The leftmost one toggles between the current symbol catalogue, and a visual list of symbols used in the map.
  • thehawkthehawk Surveyor
    edited July 2020
    Usually one of the first things people say is to re-run the latest update once you have everything installed.

What happens when you open a brand new map and not the one you were working with?

After that, it looks like those buttons are supposed pull up all the options for Symbol Catalogs of that type, and when there's only on it selects that one. When there's more than one, it gives you a dialog to allow you to pick which one you want. Mine looks like the one down at the bottom of the post - because I can't seem to figure out how to put it inline where I want it.

When I choose 'Caves' or 'Containers and Treasures', I just get the appropriate symbols. When I choose 'Debris', I get a dialog asking if I would like to have 'DD3 Color Debris' or 'DD3 Color Debris Cobwebs'. When I choose one, I then get the symbols. So on and so forth.

The menu is defined in the (default location) C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\dungeon.mnu. Mine has these:
    #601,DD2CAVE:[Cave]|SYMICONM;Cave*; #602,DD2CONTAINERS:[Containers and Treasure]|SYMICONM;Containers and Treasure*; #603,DD2DEBRIS:[Debris]||SYMICONM;Debris*; #604,DD2ELEMENTAL:[Elemental]|SYMICONM;Elemental*; #605,DD2FURNITURE:[Furniture]|SYMICONM;Furniture*; #606,DD2STATUES:[Temples and Statues]|SYMICONM;Temples and Statues*; #607,DD2TILED:[Dungeon Geomorph]{|SYMICONM;Geomorphs*;}|SYMICONM;Geomorphs*; #608,DD2TRAPS:[Traps]|SYMICONM;Traps*; #609,DD2UP:[Up and Down]|SYMICONM;Up and Down*; #610,DD2WALLF:[Wall Features]{|SYMICONM;Wall Features*;}|SYMICONM;Wall Features, Cutting; #611,DD2WEAPONS:[Weapons]|SYMICONM;Weapons*; #612,DD2TILES:[Walls]{|SYMICONM;Walls*;}|SYMICONM;Walls Connecting; #613,DD2SKIRMISH:[Skirmish Symbols]|SYMICONM;Skirmish*; #614,@Bitmaps\Icons\simple.bmp:[Simple]|SYMICONM;Simple*;
    I had to add that last one, 'Simple' during both of the last two installs - looks like that menu item is broken these days, but almost everything is still there - and I may be one of the very few still using it.