Export and Import Temp/Rainfall/Climate Data. (CA155)

Hello community:

I'm slowly making progress with FT3. :)

So I bought the Cartographer Annual CA155 and I followed the tutorial on Exporting my FT map into Wilbur and doing all sorts of modifications. But upon importing the resulting MDR file back to FT3, I found out that all the data for temperature, rainfall, and climate were overwritten. (I previously manually edited all these three maps because my world doesn't have the typical Earth climate).

So I was wondering if there is a way to preserve this data. To export them from FT, doing changes in WIlbur, and then re-importing them in FT.
Or to simply preserve that Temp/Rainfall/Climate data in Wilbur.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hi CrimsonCat :)

I wrote CA155, which is based purely on the physical form of the world being created without taking into account any of the climatology maps. I am unable to advise you, but I do know someone who probably can. It's just that he doesn't come around to the forum every day, so you might have to wait just a bit - if that's ok.
  • Oh. Hi Sue!

Thanks for the tutorial. I found it well written (no confusion at all when following it). And while I liked the results for the altitude map (and the CC map), my only problem is that I lost all other data (climates, etc).

I can wait a bit for confirmation, but not too much because I dont want to lose the 14-day money back guarantee. I bought CA155 solely for your tutorial, Sue, but there are chances I won't be using it because I'm not willing to sacrifice all the work I put on climate data. And in this case I won't have any use for CA155. (Again, not because it's bad -- the tutorial is great -- but my personal scenario is different).

(If only I knew about CA155 before I went to edit rain, temperature, etc).
    I think you might have to do the climate stuff after you've finished with the geography, but that is just me thinking out loud to myself. It makes sense to me that way around.
    I've consulted with one of the experts on this matter, and he has suggested that you try this:

1. Open your original world - the one with the climate maps you wanted to keep

2. Immediately create the new world and import the MDR as before, but this time pause just before you click Finish.

3. Press and hold down CTRL+SHIFT and keep it held down as you click the Finish button - giving it about a second either side of clicking Finish to be sure that the app has a chance to respond to this unusual instruction even as you are clicking Finish.
  • What kind of sorcery is that! :D

I anyway tried it and it partially worked. Half of the temperature/climate data was preserved, but the other half was just wiped away or misplaced (like, a vast forest appeared in an area that was mostly desert, and another area got a "flat" rainfall/temperature pattern, and many other things). Plus 3 or more small seas appeared inland.

(And I followed the steps as you said, even pausing for a second or more when clicking Finish. I even tried removing the river overlays).

Well, it's ok, thanks for the help. Again, I liked your tutorial but found out I couldn't use it. I spent a considerable amount of time fine-tuning climate and rainfall data, twice. First time and then a second time after I accidentally messed up the first attempt. So yeah, I don't want to go a third time tweaking that data.
    Oh dear! I am sorry to hear that CrimsonCat.

Unfortunately that is the only solution that emerged.

Maybe if you try importing it a couple more times that way you might get a better result? I don't know. It's up to you, though, at the end of the day.