Tracing tool for political borders

So i am trying to put down Political borders and when I press T to trace and select the entity suddenly the trace tool starts going across all over the place and wont follow the edge i want it to. Am i doing something wrong. It worked two times before but now suddenly its not cooperating.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Trace can play up if you have a really complicated line with hundreds of nodes. Could that be the issue here?

If you have a nice crinkly coastline it might be better to use the SIMPLIFY command at a small enough factor (1 = 1 map unit) to not change anything very much, but which will remove duplicated nodes or nodes that are really a bit too close to one another for the good of your map.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Also make sure you select the line to trace in the correct spot. The trace itself will always go through the point you used to select the entity to trace, so if you select it in the wrong spot, you'll find that trace will go the other way around the entity, i.e. the part you didn't want to trace. More details about that in this article, there is also a link to a video at the bottom of it.
  • I reduced my amount of nodes anyway but Monsen I think you saved me. Now that ive followed that tutorial I dont have the problem anymore thank you XD
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You're welcome. Happy mapping.