Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorRobertF
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2020

I'm making a silly mistake somewhere that's allowing torch light to shine through my cave passage walls, I just can't figure out what it is.
      CC3+ cave lighting error.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2020 edited

Can't see anything obviously wrong from that screenshot. Could you post the map file?
    • CommentAuthorRobertF

Sure, here it is. Thanks Monsen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

It's your Floor sheet which is the problem. You have set up point light on this sheet as well, and that causes the light to be "carried along" on the floor.

The reason for this behavior is that light is set up to cast light on the light blocking object itself, but not behind it (which is also why light goes "into" the wall, but doesn't continue on to the room at the other side of the wall). With floors being part of the light calculation, light would continue on to the edge of the floor (or the edge of the light source, if smaller).

Just turn off the point light effect on the FLOORS sheet, and the wall problem should be fixed.
    • CommentAuthorRobertF

That worked, thank you!

Although when I turn off the point light effect on the FLOORS sheet, I now see shadow effects from furniture projected onto the cave walls:
      CC3+ cave lighting error (2).png
    • CommentAuthormike robel

Interesting. One could maybe use this stuff to wargame a tunnel fight...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: RobertFAlthough when I turn off the point light effect on the FLOORS sheet, I now see shadow effects from furniture projected onto the cave walls:
    Yes, anything blocking the light will prevent it from reaching the wall, causing that effect. But what you probably want to do for low-height items like furniture is to NOT use an infinite shadow length, that should only be used for sheets containing floor to ceiling entities like walls and doors.