Help! I may have really fouled up.

I was having problems with CC3 crashing when I tried to make new maps. SO I uninstalled and reinstalled the programs beign sure to save my campaign area map elsewhere (My Documents). I reinstalled CC3 and reapplied the patch and everything is running fine. However, the version of the map I saved is not the .fcw, it is .jpg version. Is there anything I can do to recreate the map from this file easily, or do I just start it over from scratch?

Comments

• The only thing you can do with a .JPG file in place it on a sheet or layer, and then use that as a guide to recerate the map. At least now you have a good opportunity to make revisions and improvements.

A .JPG file is simply a compressed bitmap file. A bitmap file is not the same as a vector file (like the .FCW files created in CC3). A bitmap file contains information on each bit or pixel that makes up the image. A vector file contains a description of each piece that makes up the image (more like a book describing a scene). A bitmap file is limited to a certain resolution because the pixels are set to a certain size. While the image can be expanded, the pixels expand in size with the image and the amount of information within the bitmap doesn't change with the size so the pixels simply appear larger. In a vector file, because it is a description of a scene, the image itself can be any size the user desires while maintaining the resolution quality (the pixels never appear larger because more pixels are added to complete the image).

All this to say that a bitmap file is basically one-dimensional. It contains one single entity (the whole image) and CC3 can only work with that single image as one entity in a map. A vector file can be easily worked with in CC3 because it can discern each piece that makes up the whole image within.

Good luck with your project. I know what it's like to have to redraw a map from scratch. You at least have a JPG file to work from. I've lost maps before without anything left to work from except my memory. I am positive that if you run into any snags, you will be able to find quite a bit of help here in this forum or on the Yahoo mailing list.
  • To condense Latharion's woefully accurate description:
    You've exported a snapshot of your map, not saved a copy of the map. Unless you can find the FCW, the best you can do is trace your JPG onto a new map.
  • Thanks all for the replies. A buddy of mine had a suggestion as well I am going to try. Use System Restore in XP and go back to the day before I uninstalled the program, then I will save the .fcw file and start the reinstalling over again.
  • You might also try searching your entire hard disk for all .FCW files - to see if it got cached somewhere, or is in a directory you didn't realize.
  • One last suggestion is to turn on the "auto-save" feature of CC3. This single tiny feature has saved me from many hours of heartache!
  • I save often to an increasing number of file names when I make a map.

city01_001, make changes, save as city01_002, etc.

The next city I work on becomes city02_001, etc.
  • Thanks guys. The problem isnt that I didnt have the map saved, the problem was that I mistakenly grabbed the .jpg version of my map instead of the fcw version because I only paid attention to the filename and not to the extension. It was totally just working too fast and not paying attention on my part.

Did the search for .fcw files, found lots of shortcuts to them in the documents and settings/recent directory but none of them pointed to anything that still exists. :-(
  • Eleran, depending how much work you've put into this map, you CAN retrieve deleted files with the use of the right program. I have a few here at home that allowed me to rescue files from a crashed hard-drive that was otherwise unreadable, and I've done the same for 'permanently' deleted files I had later realized I needed.

These programs typically cost a small licensing fee, but if they can retrieve days or weeks of work, checking them out could be a true timesaver (i've even seen free ones out there). A quick search on your favorite search engine for something like "application to retrieve deleted data" will reveal lots of possibilities. Hope this works out for you.
  • NeonKnightNeonKnight Traveler
    edited April 2008
    For any who need it, I have written up a quick tutorial for inserting JPG/BMP/PNG images to CC3 to copy. It's nothing special but it does help out the novices escape some of the pitfalls I navigated when I first learnt the software:

forum.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1431

p.s. Linda K gave me permission to link to that forum as we have a large number of CC3 users there (myself included), and additionally we are part of the CC3 Affiliate program.
  • Thank you for the very nice tutorial, NeonKnight. It is very easy to follow (and well illustrated!)
  • My info was more on how to prevent the loss of an fcw file making it impossible to get the map back. With several fcw files of a map, it is easier to find one if one of the fcw files disappears due to hardware problems. I also back up my files to a cdr around once a week or month.
  • Posted By: JimPMy info was more on how to prevent the loss of an fcw file making it impossible to get the map back. With several fcw files of a map, it is easier to find one if one of the fcw files disappears due to hardware problems. I also back up my files to a cdr around once a week or month.
    I realized that after reading it a couple more times. In fact I have taken that approach and will be backing those up once a week. Thank you.