How to combine two Smooth Paths?

Complete noob here.

Trying to draw an outdoors battle map for my players here. The plan is to have a crossroads. But when I drew two “Smooth Paths” across each other, I’ve noticed that the textures do not match up on the intersection.

Is there a way to… combine (?) the two smooth paths so it is considered one object and draws one texture for the whole crossroads?
1.jpg 144.9K

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hi Nergal :)

You would need to draw a polygon of that shape for the fill to be a single entity.

So you need to make sure that you have the correct fill texture selected, and the correct sheet and layer, and then pick the smooth polygon drawing tool from the toolbar on the right and draw around the outer extent of the smooth lines.

This is the beginning of true map drawing, since you will not be using one of the preset drawing tools to do the work.
  • Posted By: LoopysueSo you need to make sure that you have the correct fill texture selected, and the correct sheet and layer, and then pick the smooth polygon drawing tool from the toolbar on the right and draw around the outer extent of the smooth lines.
    Would you personally do this as an eyeball thing, or some kind of copy to sheet, fiddle around with the line widths, maybe combine paths and then do a fill? Asking because there's so many ways to accomplish things that I'd like to know what someone who knows their stuff would do.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    There are always many ways to do a thing.

What I suggested is by no means the only way to do it. You could change the properties of both lines to solid fill and use TRACED, then EXPLODE, then a few trims from the EDIT menu, then convert from line to path by right clicking the Fractalise or explode tool (which would generate a new polygon), and finally use change properties again to put it on the right layer and sheet and fill it with the correct texture.

But I thought it would be easier just to draw it by hand, since this is a relatively simple shape and not the European coastline :)
  • Thanks for the walkthrough!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    This is also a case where the Texture Overblend effect can be used with great effect. Just make sure the roads are on their own sheet so you don't affect anything else, then add a Texture Overblend sheet effect to that sheet, specifying the same texture file used in the fill.
  • Boggles my mind how powerful of a tool CC3+ is. Thank you Loopysue and Monsen. Both options are cool. Overblend is a bit less "labor intensive" though. I also like that overblend lets you change the scale of the texture.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: NergalI also like that overblend lets you change the scale of the texture.
    This is quite possible with regular filled entities as well. You can change the scale of any particular fill from the fill style dialog, and if you need it available in several different scales, just make a new copy of the definition under a different name, and set the scale as need, then applies this "new" fill to the entities that need the different scaling.