City Designer: Unable to delete Random Streets

See this answer for a solution

I am just learning City Designer (and Campaign Cartographer). I made a new map and placed some Random Streets. However, I'm unable to remove them. I tried to use the Erase tool on every layer and I can't get rid of them. I also used the Info > List command and they seem to not exist on any layer. How can I remove them?

Comments

• It means the layers they are on are frozen.

Look at the top of the program for L: and a word.

Click on that. Click on thaw all, something like that, at the bottom of the popup. Click.okay.

Now you can delete them.

On my cell.
  • Thanks JimP. I don't believe any of my layers are frozen. I clicked thaw all and still nothing. Here's the map if you'd like to see.
  • How are you selecting the symbols to erase ?

I make a square or rectangle.

I type era enter-key or I click on the pencil on the left.

Then left click a point, move the mouse pointer to the opposite corner with makes a box around the symbols I want to delete.

Or just click on them. Each changes color, right click and select 'Do It' from, the menu.

I was able to delete houses from your map doing the above.
  • I'm not able to do some of those actions. I've attached a gif of what I'm trying to do with mouse clicks:

Left click: focus the window (note the ERA tool is in use)
    Left click: select a point, move the cursor
    Left click: select the opposite point, making a box around houses
    Right click: brings up a menu
    Left click: dismiss the menu
    Left click: select a point, move the cursor
    Left click: select the opposite point, making a box around houses
    Right click: brings up the layer list

I think I'm doing something wrong here.
  • I think I'm not understanding your first comment also: "I make a square or rectangle." Do you mean with the "Box" drawing too on the right toolbar?
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited June 2020
    Too many clicks. Don't dismiss the menu with Do It on it.

I type era or click on the pencil on the left.

Left click to start a square on the map, not the square on the right side as that is to draw a square.

Left click the opposite area of a set of items you want to erase.

Right click mouse button. Select Do It from the menu.

All the items you selected in that square area will delete.

Ctrl R to refresh the screen, they are gone.

Or you can just click on the pencil, and click on each item you want to delete.

The items you clicked on, will change color.

Right click the mouse, and select Do it.

Done.
  • Thanks again JimP. I really do appreciate you helping.

I tried what you just said and I get the same result as above in the gif.

Every time I left click (after clicking the Erase pencil), it seems to switch between modes. One shows a tooltip that says "Select a layer". If I left click again, it shows Command [ERA]:

So when I left click to create a corner of a rectangle, it switches modes. When I click again to "finish" the rectangle it switches back. You can see this in the gif above. Does that make any sense? I assume you're not seeing that behavior.
  • Just do the erase one item and right click to get the Do It menu I mentioned above.

What results when you try that ?
  • Similar. You can see my clicks as a black circle (left click) and a green circle (right click).
    edited June 2020
    Command [ERA] means the command ended.

1. type selbyd enter key This will end a previous command that didn't end correctly.

2. type era

3. click on one house you want to delete

4. click your right mouse button.

5. a menu will show up, select Do It.

6. Ctrl R to refresh the map.

That house should now be gone.
  • edited June 2020
    That worked! Thank you so much JimP!

What does selbyd mean? Also, I assumed Command [ERA]: meant ERASE, but maybe not?
    edited June 2020
    ERA does mean erase.

Selbyd is to end a previous command/action that failed to end correctly.

You're welcome.
  • DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited June 2020
    Here is a list of the "Select By" commands extracted from the "Commands.xlsx" spreadsheet of the Tome of Ultimate Mapping.
    CommandDescriptionWhere?Text Equivalent
    Select ByShow the Select by dialog where you can set your selection methodTools menu → Options dialogSELBY
    Select by 1Set the selection method to only do a single pick with the pick cursor (may pick more than one entity). No selection window is possible.Tools menu → Options dialogSELBY1
    Select by AllSet the selection method to automatically pick all entities SELBYA
    Select by ColorSets the selection method to select by color. Note that all entities do have a color property, even if it may be ignored for non-varicolor symbols and raster filled polygons SELBYC
    Select by Dialog or PopupSets the selection method to the default select method. In this mode, CC3+ allows picking via the pick cursor, drawing selection windows to encompass entities and using the right-click selection method to provide a very flexible selection system. If selections do not behave normally in CC3+, this is the command you want to run. Note that this is the only selection method that needs confirmation with Do It, all the others just sets the selection and move on. This is a good selection method for manual mapping, but a poor choice in macrosTools menu → Options dialogSELBYD
    Select by LayerSets the selection method to select all entities on the specified layer SELBYL
    Select by Multiple EachSelects entities by using the pick cursor, each click can select multiple entities. Right clicking ends the selection processTools menu → Options dialogSELBYE
    Select by PriorSets the selection method to automatically select the prior selection or last drawn entityTools menu → Options dialogSELBYP
    Select by WindowSets the selection method to always use a selection window. This can be helpful when you want a selection window in a densely packed space and the pick cursor keep interferingTools menu → Options dialogSELBYW