Finding Symbols?

I'm struggling a little with the best way to find the symbols I want to use. There are a LOT, and I often see something I'd like to use, but by the time it comes to use it, I've forgotten where it is. I'm happy to read/watch tutorials if anyone has suggestions.

Some (probably pretty basic) questions:

* What is the best way to find symbols that are not in the theme you are using?
* Is there a way to search by name? For example, if I want to add a well to my town, is there a way to see whether I have a 'well' symbol anywhere, or do I need to just browse/remember what is where?
* Is there a way to see symbols by type rather than by theme? All houses, for example.

Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2020
    CC3+ doesn't have a built-in functionality for finding symbols. It is generally assumed you will be using the symbols that belong to the current style, which are easy to access form the symbol catalog buttons.

However, since the symbols you're most likely to be interest in is the raster symbols, you can utilize Windows Search to help you.

Open up your CC3+ data directory (This is located at c:\ProgramData\ProFantasy\CC3Plus) by default, or wherever you selected in the installer (Don't mistake ProgramData for Program Files). Note that this is a hidden folder in Windows by default, and if you haven't set Windows to show hiiden files, the easy way to get to it is to open a windows file explorer window, and in the address bar just type %allusersprofile%\ProFantasy\CC3Plus to get to the directory. The other easy option is from within CC3+, just type OPENDOC @ on the command line.

Now, dive into the Symbols subdirectory, and now just use the search box in the upper right corner. Windows will helpfully let you preview the symbol images in the search result.
    Once you have found the image you like, simply use the open symbol catalog button in CC3+ and browse for the symbol catalog. The general rule is that the symbol catalog will reside one folder out from the image files, and it will be named similar to the folder the image was in. So if you found the image "C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Symbols\Maps\Mike Schley\Mountains\Mountain w Path_HI.PNG" and wanted to use that, it would normally be located in a symbol catalog located at "C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Symbols\Maps\Mike Schley" and called something involving the folder name (Mountains in this case.)
    You can also point the symbol catalog window directly to the folder containing the symbol images and use them from there, but skipping the symbol catalog also means skipping all the properties & sattings for the symbol, so it isn't generally recommend when a symbol catalog exists.

* For better search results, when you are looking for a symbol that contains the word book, try searching for *book*_HI.png. (The asterisks are wildcards that ensure that it contains the word somewhere in the name, the _HI part is to ensure you only get one of the 4 resolutions for each symbol returned in your results, and the .png ensures you only find symbol image files). Note that if you know you are searching for dungeon symbols, you can also dive into that directory first instead of searching from the top symbol level.
  • When I decide on the symbols for a village, city, star ship, etc. I use, I go to the Symbol manager and save them as a symbol set.

That way those locations are consistent in each nation on my game planet.

Symbols menu -> Symbol Manager. Highlight all of the symbols I want in that set, and click on save catalog at the top of the Symbol Manager popup. Give it a name and save it.
  • Thanks! Sounds like I should maybe explore in the symbols folder before starting my map, decide what style I like/want to use, and then possibly build a set for my map. That makes sense.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    @Tat - remember that this doesn't involve moving things around at all. You just need to make a new catalogue file, which is a type of file that can draw on the resources of many different folders.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Humm i don´t recognize the tree symbols. Which annuals are they from, Monsen? Thanks!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2020
    They are from CA158 - Ferraris Style