Symbols Extend Outside Map Border

I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or if I've got a setting wrong. I've watched a couple tutorials online and when the symbol (ex, a mountain) extends beyond the border, the portion outside the border seems to automatically disappear. I even tried saving as an image file with the Option to exclude everything outside the border, but still go the attached. Any recommendations?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    This is normal behavior. Technically, maps in CC3+ aren't limited in size, they just have a map border of the desired size that "borders off" the desired area, but the map doesn't technically end at that border.

What most map templates use is a screen that hides these things. This screen is just a plain white polygon right outside the map border, usually on a sheet named SCREEN, and located at the end of the sheet order so it overlaps everything else. This causes things like this to be hidden. When a template doesn't have this set up, you can just create it yourself.

As for the export, when doing a restrict to map border export, also make sure to check the crop image to aspect ratio option, otherwise the export size values need to match the image aspect ratio exactly to avoid getting additional content.
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Monsen</cite>This is normal behavior. Technically, maps in CC3+ aren't limited in size, they just have a map border of the desired size that "borders off" the desired area, but the map doesn't technically end at that border.

What most map templates use is a screen that hides these things. This screen is just a plain white polygon right outside the map border, usually on a sheet named SCREEN, and located at the end of the sheet order so it overlaps everything else. This causes things like this to be hidden. When a template doesn't have this set up, you can just create it yourself.

As for the export, when doing a restrict to map border export, also make sure to check the crop image to aspect ratio option, otherwise the export size values need to match the image aspect ratio exactly to avoid getting additional content.</blockquote>

That did it. Thanks!