Is there a way to change this trace into a landmass?

I traced Mediterranean by parabolic curve. Is there a way I can make this into landmass?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Have you made it a closed shape? If not, you need to close up the shape and make it into a polygon first.

Then, you can just right click the change properties button and select Change like draw tool. (Or you can just set the appropriate properties yourself (fill, sheet, layer), there is no difference for the end shape between using a drawing tool and setting things manually, except that the drawing tools approach is less work).
  • Looking at the FCW file, the shape isn't yet a single line; there are several shorter segments - and no, it doesn't join up around the rectangular borders at all as yet. I quickly tried adding link-lines to join things up, and then using Line to Path on the whole (complicated by a number of very short segments along the west coast of Italy, and around Greece). However, I think there must be too many nodes, as "Do It" simply crashes the system.
  • Hi Monsen you are a life saver!

Actually I know the individual commands but sometimes you just cannot make them work together. CC3+ is an amazing software but it is sometimes not so intuitive.

Look at the beautiful and detailed Mediteranean coast:
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Wyvern</cite>Looking at the FCW file, the shape isn't yet a single line; there are several shorter segments - and no, it doesn't join up around the rectangular borders at all as yet. I quickly tried adding link-lines to join things up, and then using Line to Path on the whole (complicated by a number of very short segments along the west coast of Italy, and around Greece). However, I think there must be too many nodes, as "Do It" simply crashes the system.</blockquote>

Hi Wyvern you are right, because I traced a real world map by smooth path command (parabolic curve) there are lots of nodes, I find parabolic curve match the tracing of coastline perfectly and most of all - QUICK, I tried using line to path command, but it just crashes. So I split them into small segments in the hope that it will not crash. But still it keeps crashing. There is no hope in line to path.
  • Sorry, I forgot you'd been working on this in an earlier topic. I should have remembered when I crashed the program! Glad you've managed to get things resolved, and so well.
  • You know what, when I use change like draw tool, I expect it would crash too, but it worked!
  • I think I'd have been more nervous about connecting the lines and turning them into a polygon. If the system coped with that, it should cope with anything!
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Wyvern</cite>I think I'd have been more nervous about connecting the lines and turning them into a polygon. If the system coped with that, it should cope with anything!</blockquote>

Yes, that too! I clicked Multiploy and selected from left to right all the individual segments and held my breath when right clicked do it.