How to set drawing tool's drawing method?

I find the way to set drawing tool's drawing method is inconsistent, or maybe I've done it wrong.

I can set drawing tool (e.g. landmass) using the dialogue box to be poly/fractal/sketch etc, but how can I set it to be parabolic curve? I've seen it briefly mentioned in the Dome, but cannot find more of it.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2020
    Unfortunately, drawing tools doesn't support all the various shape options out there. For smooth polygons, it only support the standard Cubic B-Spline
    The available options for drawing tools are all found by hitting the Options button after selecting the appropriate method from the dropdown in the draw method section.

I guess you can probably make a macro drawing tools that calls upon the parabolic polygon (PSPOLY) or path (PSPLINE) though.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited June 2020
    Hi there! Straight/smooth is a property of the path or polygon you are drawing, and as such not a new "Draw method". Choose Path/Polygon from your draw method, the click the Options button to set your tool to "Smooth". You'll now be drawing cubic paths or polys (CC3+ default method for drawing smooth lines).

True parabolic lines can't be drawn via drawing tools (short of doing a macro), for these you you'll have to right-click the Smooth Poly and Smooth Path buttons on the right-hand toolbar. FOr those interested, I've attached a quick reference image for the difference between the various types of smooth lines.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by Remy.
  • Hi Monsen and Ralf, thank you for your answers.

The reason I ask is that sometimes I can use parabolic curve when using drawing tool to draw landmass, sometimes I cannot. I wonder if it is the clicking order I do to the landmass drawing tool. I think it might just be by luck when it can and when it cannot.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thanks for the diagram, Ralf. I think you can see it somewhere within CC3 but I always forget where. It's a useful reminder that if you don't like the way one type of curve behaves you can always try one of the other two. I have a personal preference for the Cubic B-Spline, but that's just because its the closest one to the curves I used to draw in my Corel Suite 9 software before Win 10 killed it.