Changing Symbol Set In a Style

Made a world map in the Mercator pre-defined template. Thanks a lot to Remy and his Virana world as an idea starting point - loved his world map. My plan is to cut out a continent and make a continent map using the Mercator Historical style template but use the symbol set from the Herwin Wielink annual style as I want to move away from the more abstract Mercator symbols as I get more detailed maps.

I got flustered by all the different ways to access different symbol sets and couldn't figure out how to set the Wielink set as the regular symbol set on the Mercator template. I'm guessing that's possible but can't figure out how to do it. I'd get a Wielink city symbol done but then switch to a different collection (i.e. vegetation) and it wouldn't show the Wielink collection but either return to the Mercator symbol set or sometimes even a CCPro or similar set.

There also seemed to be an issue with background polygons not working correctly. For example, I'd use the mountain background tool but it would draw a hollow polygon and it would only draw an outline - basically a hollow polygon instead of filling it in with the background texture.

Thanks,
CG

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Perhaps the easiest way to do this is to draw all the things you need to draw in the Mercator style, and then import that file into a new Herwin Wielink map that you have previously cleared of any unwanted frills, like the background and the screen and frame (if any).
  • Hmm...that's interesting. Never occurred to me to do that. So I'm gathering that what I want to do isn't really easily done?

Thanks,
    CG
    Well, yes. It's easy enough. You just draw everything you need to draw in the Mercator style and then transfer it all to the HW map. By doing so you add all the fills and symbols you've already used to the new map, and gain all the fills and symbols of the HW style.
  • :) Just spent the whole evening working on it. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Sue.

CG
  • Work in progress but you can see the original Mercator frame, Nav Lines, and some place holding symbols along side the Wielink replacements.
    You're welcome :)

Looks like an interesting map on the way there. Don't forget to show us when it's done :D
  • Here is a screen shot of the map at it's first "finish" point. Probably go back on do more work on it later but it's where I need it for my campaign. It's seems dark to me and I need to do something to help the text be more readable. I like those fonts … but ….
    Herwin Wielink is a dark style. Mixing styles is a tricky thing to get right, since none of the styles were designed to work together. It is very much up to you whether the mixture is right for you or not. A certain amount of correction can be achieved using the sheet effects, but bear in mind that you can only bend the colours so far without making the symbols look too dark, and there is little you can do to change the colour of a symbol.

To make the text stand out you might want to use a different glow effect on the text sheet. White, or a pale colour of some kind. Or you could turn the text itself pale and use a dark glow.
  • I really like the Wielink symbols for the continental map. Especially the mountains. But I like elements of the Mercator (especially the lat/lon lines) of the Mercator style and my world map that I exported the continent from is done in the Mercator style. There actually is a soft grey glow around the text but it's not showing on this screen shot. Looks better on the actual map. But, that's probably what I need to work on next. Thanks for all the help.

CG