Adjusting Map Border

I've noticed that a number of styles restrict your drawing area to a specific aspect ratio when you create a map. I think this is because of the detailed borders that come with the styles, that wouldn't able to be stretched to fit any dimensions. To get around this, I thought I would be able to simply delete the border and set my sheet to whatever size I wanted, but that seems to cause some issues.

I haven't been able to recreate it, but earlier this week I was able to take the border of a map and use the move command to bring the upper, lower and right sides closer to the left to my desired ratio. Now, when I resize that drawing, I'm able to make it whatever size as long as it's that same ratio. This makes me think there's maybe some entity of the border that is actually important in deciding the edge of the drawing area, and the rest is just there to look good. If so, is there any way to isolate that entity to more easily mess with it?

Alternatively, does anyone know how to actually separate border entities and move them like I managed to do earlier? I tried again with the split tool, but couldn't get that to work. Exploding the whole thing worked, but it looked absolutely terrible.

Edit: Well I feel dumb messing with this for a couple of hours and then figure it out 10 minutes after posting. Explode does what I need fine, I was just being too heavy handed with it. I'd still be interested in hearing from people who actually know what they're doing with this program, if any of you ever do stuff like this.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2020
    Posted By: bluecadet-2This makes me think there's maybe some entity of the border that is actually important in deciding the edge of the drawing area, and the rest is just there to look good. If so, is there any way to isolate that entity to more easily mess with it?
    Yes.
    Look on the MAP BORDER layer (not sheet). It is the entities on this layer that actually determine the edge of the map. For most templates, this is just a series of 4 lines that surround the drawing area.
    Be very careful to not put anything else on this layers, as it can make things like drawing tools behave unpredictably (Well, the behavior is predictable enough once one understands the mechanism, but not expected unless you know about it).
  • That's great news. Since I don't need the fluff on this map, I'll delete everything and try just making four lines. Thanks a ton!