Live stream tomorrow

Howdy mappers.

I'll be handling tomorrow's live mapping stream. It will be streamed on the ProFantasy FaceBook page as usual. (Event info). Stream should be available to everyone, you shouldn't need a FB account (allthough FB do like to tell you that you should get one anyway). You'll need one to chat/comment during the stream though.

This week, the stream will handle moderns streets using SS3.

The stream will happen at 18:00 hours Central European Summer Time (CEST), visit the event post, and I am sure facebook will tell you the time in your time zone.

This is the first time I am ever attempting a live stream, so I am sure I will be messing some things up, but I guess either you'll learn something, or you'll get something to laugh at. Either way, it is a win for you :)

Considering that I spend considerably more of my life here in the forums than on FB, don't hesitate to use the forums if you have questions after the video, probably won't be able to monitor the forums during the stream though.

And I'd love feedback on the stream. Tell me if I am overexplaining or underexplaining things. I am a teacher by trade, so I can get a bit wordy at times, just ask my students.

Note that there is a 30-60 second stream delay on FB, which means that even if I answer a question immediately, it will still be about a minute until you hear me address it. I am not sure how fast I will be responding to comments though, it is difficult reading the chat and talking to the audience explaining what you are doing at the same time. All of this is just things I need to figure out though, as I said above, this is the first time I attempt a live stream. Well, at least in these forms. I've done some online teaching these last few months, because the university campus have been closed due to certain recent events. Teaching is quite different though.

[Image_14918]

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Laugh at you? Oh no - never! Without you I probably would be nowhere with CC3!

I am really looking forward to this :D
  • He'll be great! Sorry to be missing it! Good luck, better you than me (hee hee)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Excellent show, Remy!

I learned a lot, and I think I will find it an important place to send people with questions about line styles particularly from now on.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2020
    The recording is now available in a better-quality version on YouTube. It is on my own channel right now, but it will also be uploaded to the official ProFantasy livestream archive playlist soon.

Posted By: LoreleiGood luck, better you than me (hee hee)
    I am sure Ralf will give you a slot whenever you want one :)
  • Watched the YouTube recording (as I've mentioned before, FaceBook = anathema ;) ), and things all seemed to run very well. It's important - also with Ralf's videos - to see mistakes being made and overcome, I think - or sometimes gone around when it isn't obvious why things have gone awry. Otherwise newcomers can feel it's just them!

Some familiar things shown, of course, some not so - changing the format for the dashed road lines was a particularly interesting feature for me.

And interesting too to see this being done for a modern floorplan, in essence, which I'd guess will be outside quite a few of our more regular commentators' mapping expertise (mine, certainly).

Personally, I'd have liked to see more on making things look a bit more "real" - so tricks for making worn-looking and damaged road surface patches, pavement edges and road markings, say. Or maybe it's only British roads that have those ;) However, that would have extended the video considerably. Maybe that could be something for a follow-up though? I know Joe Sweeney did a number of multi-part video tutorials, each building on the work of the last. I'm sure there are plenty of other demands for what people would prefer to see as tutorials too, of course.

Well done, Remy!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Thanks Wyvern,

I'll probably do some more tutorialish-videos in the future.

This livestream-format is a bit limited, since I should both watch the length of the stream, and also avoid making things to complicated. People do come to see some live mapping being done, and not just a specific concept being explained, so I need to focus on making a usable map here. I could probably have spent an hour on the sidewalk edges alone.
    I don't know if you remember the modern map I did for Shessar's competition a few years back, but the detail work in that one took quite a few hours (There's a full tutorial for that one in the tome).

And believe me, I am no stranger to real roads looking worn, pavement stones out of alignment, missing/obscured makings, etc. Just come visit and look at our roads....
  • One disadvantage of watching only the recorded version is you tend to forget it was intended to be seen live.

And yes, it's very easy to get sucked into endlessly tweaking fine details, which works well when all you're doing is creating a map till you're happy with it; not so good when there's a time-limit and such fine detail work may not be of much interest to a lot of folks watching!

Wanted to say too that I just used that trick of altering the dashed-line appearance for real today myself.

I did wonder about the worn roads when I heard your comment about the too-long shadows on the potholes; not going to say they looked quite normal to me, but... ;)
  • Sorry, I wasn't able to make it.