Features Like Keyboard Shortcuts & Mousewheel Support?

I use other CAD software for my work (Vectorworks to be exact) - so I get frustrated when the UI of a program slows me down. This isn't me griefing - I love the program, but just some feedback from a longtime CAD user.
A couple of questions:

Are there/can there be easy keyboard shortcuts in CC3 (and if there are, where's the documentation)? In programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, or Vectorworks, if I want to select the zoom command I hit a single key ("C" I think in Vectorworks, "Z" in Illustrator) - it makes drawing so much easier if I can hit "1" and get the line tool.

I've always wondered why there isn't mousewheel support in CC - either in scrolling or hitting CTRL+Mousewheel to zoom. The middle click zoom/pan function is really cumbersome and slows me down, but it doesn't slow me down half as much as finding the zoom button and clicking it (which I do anyway because of the aforementioned cumbersomeness of the middle click). Or how about a PAN/HAND tool? Would make moving around the map much easier than clicking the scroll bars which are inevitably imprecise (In Vectorworks I have my middle click set as the PAN/HAND tool for quick navigation and CTRL+Mousewheel for zoom). What about letting the end user customize all these things so that people who don't like my shortcut ideas can map their own?

So I know these are personal things, since I'm used to Vectorworks, but I do think that they're a bit of common sense.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    There are quite a lot of them, but maybe not exactly for the features you describe
    - If you mouse over the application menus, you'll discover several of them
    - Search the help file for "shortcut keys" gives some
    - There are also a list of keys to be used in mid command, especially during the selection process, like D - Do It, B - And(Both), N - Not, O - Or, C - color, L - Layer and so on.
    - Also, while not true "shortcut keys", almost all of CC3's commands can be executed by typing in the command on the command line. (Like zwin for the Zoom Window command). If you find a command is too cumbersome to type, you can usually just make a macro with a shorter name that calls the command.
  • 9 days later
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    edited June 2009
    Short cut commands. There are two ways of doing this. The first is to add a short cut keys to menu files. For example, in fcw32.mnu, you see an entry which looks like this:

&Print... ^P:|PRINT;

^P assigns CTRL P to print. Note there is a TAB before the ^P. You can assign function keys and their SHIFT and CTRL+ functions key presses in the same way, eg:

&Like F2:LIKE;^D;

SF2 would assign SHIFT+F2
    CF2 would assign CTLR+F2

Finally, I've often thought it would be a good idea to do two-letter combinations shortcuts for command names, for example ER for ERASE. I think this, with a reference guide to creating more would be a good idea for an annual.
  • Simon, I could definately use that.