[Question] Easier way to line up image for tracing?

Not really posting this to complain, mostly seeing if anyone has some tips for inserting images to trace over. Like say you took a screenshot of your map after making the landmass, you want to plan it out before adding anything to it. So, with your screenshot, you add in roads and city locations, etc, not just to have a plan, but in case CC3 crashes and it's like "thankfully I made this".

I basically did that, I inserted the plan map as a trace over. I did get it in, but I lined it up just a tiny bit off. The issue with making a Trace Over Image is that annoying box part, like I wish there was a way to only insert the landmass of the plan map and not have the water or the white void.

Is there an easier way? Or is it mostly a trial & error guessing game if trying to line it up just right?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You can't import a partial image. The easiest way to handle things if your image have parts you don't want included is to crop the image in an image editor first.
    To avoid the map background, you can also make the background transparent in the image editor and save it as a .png, CC3+ handles images with transparent sections (although you still have the "box" when placing it)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited June 2020
    As long as you have taken a screen shot of the entire map, and then trimmed the shot to the edges of the map perfectly, there is no reason why you can't reinsert it using the snap grid. Even if the map is not perfectly aligned with the snap grid you can always use Attach instead to attach the two corners to the corners of the map.

An easier way to plan things is to add a new sheet called SKECTH, or some such logical name, and draw stuff on that. SKETCH can then be hidden or deleted when you finish the drawing.

EDIT: ninja'd by Remy... again! LOL!
  • The last bit you suggested for "Sketch", I don't think you can insert an image without making a sheet for it, and even if you could I imagine it would be a real pain trying to hide it to see if you added things in right.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    The SKETCH sheet is for drawing things on in CC3. Nothing to do with a bitmap. It means you don't have to mess around with screen shots and re-importing things. You just draw your plans on the SKETCH sheet using the freehand drawing tool on the right.