Looking for answers and suggestions

Still new to CD3, but enjoying the software and impressed by the maps.

Had a couple problems with the map below, however. As you'll notice, the building inside the keep and the tower on top of the temple to the south lack the nice "rooftop shadow" effect that all the other buildings have. They are on the same sheet as the other buildings, so what am I doing wrong?

Also, any other suggestions for improvement would be appreciated. I have about a dozen more maps to make in the next couple weeks, so I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Err... I can't see what's wrong with your map. Looks quite lovely to me.

Did you use other symbols than the CD3 ones ?
    If you open the symbol manager and edit the symbols there, list entities, do all display a pict entity with roof shade on ?
  • edited May 2009
    That's a nice map!
    Like Joachim I can't see what's wrong with it, though? The tower on the temple is casting a shadow... at least if we are talking about the same building :-)
    I mean the white building near the southern gate.

One thing I did notice: the dirt road to the northwest doesn't connect properly to the stone road.
  • edited May 2009
    The problem I'm referring to is on the gothic building to the NE - while it is casting a shadow (Wall shadow) the North and Western facing roof slopes should be darker than the Southern and Eastern sides. A similar, but less noticable problem, occurs of that SE dome on the temple. I tried recreating the structure, and apparently the problem occurs when I changed the sheet for the building to something else and then back to "building."

All the symbols are CD3 - though I made several modifications to some of them. The statue in front of the temple is a combination of a round dais and medium statue, and I changed the color of the green fields to "darker grass 3." If you have questions about any specific objects I'd be happy to share what I did.

Here is the same map with a few changes - you can see that I've fixed the shadows (though only by redrawing the building and leaving it on the default building sheet). It seems any time I try and put it on a different sheet (even if the sheet effects are identical to the standard building sheet) everything goes to hell with the shadows.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

I still can't get that dirt road to the northwest quite right... if I bring it closer it overlaps the stone road which just looks wrong... suggestions?
  • edited May 2009
    Oh wow - thanks for the compliment Gandwarf. I greatly enjoyed your tutorial btw.

http://img199.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=ilia.png

This is a gallery I've made available to my players to get them excited about the new campaign - it includes most of the maps I've completed. You'll notice the second looks a bit familiar Gandwarf... (I created it while going through your tutorial). I've been using Bitmap A for the larger maps, and Bitmap B for the smaller settlements. Sadly, Bitmap A doesn't have quite the same variety of building and symbol styles, because I really like it for the larger cities.

I'm about to start a truly massive city (the equivalent of Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter in this campaign) but I'd like to do another smaller city or two to practice before I try something that complicated.
  • edited May 2009
    How did you make the gothic building ?
    I cannot find any premade symbol looking like that...
    Did you use the house generator (house button, Insert building)
    If so, you'll noticed they are a lot of entites on that symbol (again, use the symbol manager, edit, list) including shadings
    You perhaps modified something while modifying the symbol).
  • edited May 2009
    Nice cities merlinus and it's good to hear you enjoyed the tutorial.

As for the roads overlapping: there's a few things you might try:

- One you have placed the dirt road, put another piece of stone road on top of it. I think the entity you draw last gets on top of the other as long as both entities are on the same sheet.
    - There is a button "Bring to front" or something like that in the user interface. I think you can use it to bring an entity to the front at the cost of another entity. Meaning you have control which entity ends on top of the other entity.
    - If that doesn't work create two sheets and make sure the stone roads sheet is above the dirt roads sheet.

Oh, if you are going for a more realistic look there should even be some dirt on the stone road. People traveling the dirt road would kick it on the stone road :-)
    (or if it's muddy walk it there)
  • Can't help with the shadows by the way. I am still not sure what you mean, it looks quite all right to me. I don't bother much with shadows anyway as most of my cities are large enough that shadows are hardly noticable or become one giant shadow :-)
  • All the buildings (except the huts outside the walls) were created using the "Houses" button. Given the fact that you guys aren't bothered by the shadows its probably just a case of ODC (Obsessive Cartographer Disorder), so I'm deciding to let it go. (Good call on the "Settings" menu under the House Insert menu - I'm already having fun playing with the possibilities).

I love the muddy road suggestion Gandwarf - what would be the best way to accomplish it?

Oh, and do either of you have some good examples of really large, walled Bitmap A cities I could look at? While the examples on the main page are very good, I'd like to see some more examples to draw inspiration from.
  • Managed to fix the road intersection - looks good now! Your "draw over" suggestion worked wonders.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
  • Any suggestions on adding dirt/mud to my pretty stone roads??
  • edited May 2009
    Sheet effect Glow, brown color, probably inside.
  • I've had the same problem with the roof shading when editing the properties of a building and changing sheets. Not sure why it happens but I understand what you're saying about it. The work around that I've found is to activate the sheet you want to draw the building on, i.e. make sure it's got a check mark in the drop down list to indicate that it's the active sheet. Then after click on the insert house button but BEFORE you begin to draw the house, click the sheets drop down and manually select the sheet that you want to place the house on. Make sure after doing this that the sheet you want to draw on is now the active sheet. This will override any sheet priority built into the tool itself and force your house to be drawn on your chosen sheet.

When I've done this my roof shading has remained intact and the building ends up on the sheet I want.