Angled lines look like stairs

In the map I have build the angled outer perimeter walls look like stairs. Is there a way to flatten these lines out?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Export in a higher resolution. Pixels in an image is on a square grid, so technically it is impossible to have true angled lines in a picture, but when the resolution is high enough, the pixels are small enough for it not to be noticeable.

You'll probably also want to turn on a bit of anti-aliasing when you export. This do make the edges a tad less sharp. but it also helps a lot in hiding the square nature of pixels.
  • Are you trying to portray an angled earthen wall (or glacis) into a dry moat (or ditch) that that prevents attackers from being able to easily attack and scale the compound walls? I'm not familiar with the map style you are using and would probably have to see the .FCW file to make any useful suggestions but a blur or glow effect on the sheet with the lines might "flatten these lines out". Nice title block though, where did you get it?
  • The black are stone walls.

Monsen, even in CC3+ those lines have a stepped appearance. Is there something I need to change in CC3+?
    edited June 2020
    Technically, your monitor do have the same characteristics as an image, based on a grid of pixels, so it can't really display an angled line either. But most modern monitors tends to be high enough resolution that it is unnoticeable, but sharp contrasts and long stretches of the same color makes it more noticeable.
    In CC3+, you should notice that the effect doesn't get worse as you zoom in on parts of the line, the "size" of the steps should stay the same, which indicates that everything is as it should be, and the limit is your monitors resolution (In contrast, zooming into the line exported image will also make the steps appear larger)

As DaltonSpence said, a glow and/or blur can help make it look a tad better inside CC3+, because this basically serves the same as adding anti-aliasing.
  • roy.dentonroy.denton Traveler
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, I'll check those options out and my monitor setting. I am working on a laptop so it may not be as good as an actual monitor. I could always put it up on the TV and see how it looks.
    edited June 2020
    Posted By: roy.dentonI could always put it up on the TV and see how it looks.
    In most cases, worse. TV's are generally the same resolutions as most monitors, but much larger physically, making things like this even more noticeable.

Just one question though, I do assume those walls are lines/polygons or vector symbols, right? They aren't bitmap images/raster symbols?
  • They started as a line then changed using a fill that changed line width and fill state (solid).