Stopping symbols choosing their own sheet

Morning, everyone. Hope all keeping OK?

I realize I can toggle the Symbols Choose Sheets setting, first of all. What I have problems with is that whenever I open CC3, this setting is automatically set to true. Now I don't want CC3 moving my symbols, I want then to stay on the sheet I put them on.

Now if I remember to, I can toggle this setting off after starting CC3 and all is fine. However, my memory isn't great these days, and I often don't remember - so often I do a whole bunch of changes including symbol insertion, and I find eventually a lot of my symbols vanish - I then have to trawl through all the automatic sheets and move all my symbols back to where I actually want them.

Is there a setting where I can change this default behavior, a registry or config setting perhaps - so that Symbols Choose Sheet is set to false when I open CC3 rather than true?. The existing default really annoys the bejesus out of me.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2020
    Unfortunately, there isn't a way to do this as a permanent setting far as I know.

You may wish to take advantage of the sheet naming system to lessen this problem however. 99% of the symbols are configured to go to sheets starting with the word SYMBOLS, so if you name the various sheets that can contain symbols starting with this, such as SYMBOLS MOUNTAINS, SYMBOLS RUBBLE, etc, CC won't change to the default SYMBOLS sheet if one of those are the active sheets, allowing you to place symbols directly on the active sheet if it is properly named.
    I know this isn't the same as turning the option off, but it can alleviate the problem somewhat.

A way more work-intensive option is to edit the symbol catalogs and turn off the options for all the individual symbols (You can select all the symbols in a symbol catalog at once and set this, but you'll have to edit each symbol catalog individually.) If you do this, I recommend keeping a backup of the original catalogs (just the catalog files, not the png images)