Fonts that support germanic characters

I am looking for good fonts for use with CC3 that support things like umlauts and ess-tset. Unless I am doing something wrong, the Middle Ages font does not support such characters. Since that is what I was using on my map, I need to find something else, but I'm really not sure how to figure out which fonts support such special characters. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited June 2020
    I wouldn't be able to name any fonts specifically, but if you are after something that isn't a mainstream Windows font (you can use any font on your PC if you click the "More fonts" button), you could try looking at fonts on the free font websites. Most of them will allow you to enter a string of text to see what it would look like in any of the listed fonts. I guess if you can paste a suitable example word with all the special characters in it into the example box you will be able to tell pretty quickly which ones are possible.

I use Dafont.com quite a lot. There are other sites as well if you google "Free fonts". If you are intending to use your maps commercially the only thing you need to be careful about when using fonts downloaded from sites like this is that they really are free - for commercial use. Dafont helpfully places all such free fonts in a category you can tick to make sure you don't get into any trouble. Here is a snapshot of a page in Dafont where I have checked the "100% free" box and pasted a string of special characters into the example text box. As you can see, the topmost font on this shot doesn't do any special characters at all. That is why it is blank.
  • Thanks, Sue! Dafont was excellent! Although I have an Adobe CC subscription and access to their fonts, that is on my Mac and all the mapping software is on my Windows gaming system, so Adobe wasn't really any use there. Found quite a few that worked.

As an FYI, I came across an app called Charident that lets you type or paste in characters and it searches through your installed fonts and shows the ones that contain those characters. Big help.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You're welcome :)

And that's good to know. There may be quite a few mappers who could do with a handy little app like that.