Imported DXF looks warped

Each time I import a coastline or land cover DXF, the data looks warped compared to the source map. I have a hunch CC needs to have its map projection tweaked somehow, but no idea how to do that. The source area is roughly 225 sq mi, or somewhere around 12 mi x 18 mi. I have exquisitely detailed coastline data, but it all looks warped.

I own the 2014 annual that goes over converting ESRI>DXF and importing DXF data, but it has no tips for this situation.

Halp?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I don't really know what could be going on here, but note that there isn't a map projection to tweak in CC. CC doesn't do map projections, it just works on a flat plane. It will just take the raw data form the dxf file and blindly use the coordinates from it as they are. Masybe the export process you use apply a projection transform to the data? Or the source map you are viewing is actually in a projection, but the export process exports data unprojected?
  • I have downloaded 17 separate data sets at this point and they all look identical in CC. A country's GIS site, universities, OpenStreetMap, Natural Earth...so many.

I am so flipping confused. The instructions in annual 2014 helped some, but they don't address this issue.
  • In fact...I think I'm downloading the same data sets that were used in Annual 2014, and they don't give the same results.
  • The issue was the map projections used in each data set were a standard I didn't know existed. I know now :) and have exported from QGIS to DGF using the correction projection.

Eureka!

Now to figure out map scaling, x/y coordinates, centering...ugh.