Images for paintbrushes in FT3

Reading through some of the discussions here, I just learned that images can be used as paintbrushes for FT3. Unfortunately, the help page for those options seems to be missing. I haven't had any luck searching through the forum for how to use an image as a brush. Can someone please either point me to a tutorial or explain how that works? Like, could I go into Photoshop, create a two color abstract image (splatter or something) and then use that as a paintbrush in FT3?

I am trying to paint in temperature and rainfall adjustments and the round brush really does not work well. At least, not the way I'm using it, I guess.

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited May 2020
    Yes. You can use an image made in a paint program as a paintbrush for FT3. The intensity (brightness) of the image is the height of the brush at that point. I recommend using a PNG image if possible because transparent parts of the image aren't drawn, but be aware that PNGs will be drawn upside down.

To use an image as a brush, select a painting tool and click the "C" button on the Paintbrush Options toolbar. You'll get a dialog that has many options on it, including "Form". Select Form as Image and the load a file using the Image Brush elements. If you'd like to use a Photoshop-style brush where dark would be high and light would be low, check the "Invert Colors" checkbox.

Note that the paintbrush for image overlays is always the basic monotone round brush.
  • Thanks!! Exactly what I was looking for.